Have you ever gotten ready for a date, felt pretty good about how you looked, and then the guy showed up and you immediately thought:
Oh...apparently we had VERY different ideas about what we were dressing for.
Well... meet Sloppy Sam.
A Blind Date at 19
I was 19 and had just come home after a semester of college.
Dating hadn't exactly gone the way I had hoped while I was away, so when a friend offered to set me up on a blind group date, I was actually pretty excited.
We were going bowling and then getting dinner, and honestly, I was just looking forward to going out, meeting someone new, and hopefully having a fun night.
Earlier that day, I had gone thrifting just for fun and happened to find a really cute top.
The second I tried it on, I thought:
Oh! I should wear this tonight.
It wasn't anything super fancy, but it was cute, and I was excited to have something new to wear on my date.
When I got home, I started getting ready.
My mom helped me with my hair and makeup, and I put on my new thrift-store find.
I was 19, going on a blind date, and wanted to look cute.
Nothing crazy.
I wasn't dressing for prom.
But I definitely put some thought and effort into getting ready.
Then the Doorbell Rang
I heard my mom opening the door downstairs, so I hurried down the stairs, excited to finally see the guy I'd been set up with.
And then I saw him.
He was standing there in baggy gym shorts, a T-shirt, and tennis shoes.
My first thought was basically:
Oh.
He looked like he had just finished playing a game of church ball and decided to come straight over.
And suddenly, I felt WAY overdressed.
I remember feeling disappointed, and maybe even a little embarrassed about how much effort I had put into getting ready.
I wasn't expecting him to show up in dress pants or a button-down shirt.
We were going bowling, after all.
But I guess I had expected something a little more intentional.
Even just jeans and a nice T-shirt would have felt different.
And the Date Was...Fine
We went on the date, and it was... fine.
We bowled with the group, went to dinner, talked a little, and had an okay time.
There wasn't some giant disaster.
He wasn't rude or mean.
There just wasn't much of a connection between us, and nothing ever came from it.
But strangely enough, years later, I still remember that moment when I came down the stairs and saw what he was wearing.
At 19, I probably couldn't have explained why it bothered me beyond:
I got dressed up and he didn't.
Looking back now, though, I think it was one of my first little lessons about something that has become important to me in dating:
How you show up matters.
It Wasn't Really About the Clothes
And I don't mean you need expensive clothes.
I don't care about designer brands, and I definitely don't think every date needs to involve dressing up.
Some of the best dates can be simple, casual, and inexpensive.
For me, it was about effort and intention.
There's something about getting ready for a date that says:
I'm excited to meet you. I thought about this. This mattered enough to me that I put in a little effort.
That's what I think 19-year-old me was reacting to.
I had been excited about the date.
I had put thought into getting ready, and when he showed up looking like this was just another stop in his day, I felt that difference.
Okay...I'll Give Us Both Some Grace
Now, to be fair, maybe he genuinely thought:
We're going bowling. Gym shorts make perfect sense.
And maybe I was the one who put a little too much thought into what to wear.
I was 19, it was a blind date, and I was excited.
So I'll give both of us a little grace there.
But Sloppy Sam still taught me something.
I don't need someone to impress me with what they're wearing.
I don't need fancy dates, expensive clothes, or someone who looks perfectly put together all the time.
But I do appreciate someone who makes an effort—someone who shows through the little things that they're excited to be there too.
One of Those “Hmm...Interesting” Moments
Because sometimes the little things tell you something.
Not necessarily a red flag.
Not necessarily a deal breaker.
Just one of those little moments where I think:
Hmm...interesting...
And apparently, sometimes a Dating Detour starts with nothing more than a blind date, a bowling alley, and a pair of baggy gym shorts.
Does effort matter to you?
Have you ever gone on a date where one tiny thing made you realize you and the other person had very different ideas about how to show up?
I'd love to hear your story. ❤️
Sloppy Sam wasn't rude.
He wasn't a terrible date.
And a pair of gym shorts certainly didn't make him a bad person.
But that little moment helped me recognize something I still value now:
I don't need someone to show up perfectly. I just want someone who shows up with intention.
Sometimes the smallest Dating Detours are the ones that help you put words to what matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment