When Fantasy Fred and I broke up, I knew ending the relationship was the right decision.
But that didn't mean I walked away from it with everything figured out.
Actually...
I think I walked away realizing just how much I didn't know. 😬
This was my first real relationship. My first boyfriend. My first time trying to figure out what it looked like to choose someone while they were also choosing me.
And looking back now, I can see that Fantasy Fred taught me some of the most important lessons I've carried into dating since.
Not because he was a terrible boyfriend.
Not because our relationship was some giant mistake.
But because sometimes you don't know what matters to you until you're actually faced with choosing it.
Liking Someone Isn't the Same as Being Compatible
This one was hard for me.
Because I really liked Fantasy Fred.
There were so many things I genuinely enjoyed about him. We could talk for hours. He made me feel seen. He planned thoughtful dates. We shared interests. He played the piano beautifully. He watched Studio Ghibli with me—which, obviously, earned him some serious points. 😂
There wasn't some dramatic moment where I suddenly stopped liking him.
And I think part of me believed there needed to be.
If I liked him and he liked me, shouldn't we be able to make everything else work?
But that's one of the biggest things this relationship taught me:
You can really like someone and still not be right for each other.
Compatibility isn't about finding someone exactly like you. There will always be differences.
But some differences matter more than others.
Our stages of life mattered.
Our expectations mattered.
Our non-negotiables mattered.
Our spiritual connection mattered.
The kind of future we each envisioned mattered.
And no amount of liking each other could make those things unimportant.
My Dealbreakers Weren't Suggestions 😬
I also learned that I'm apparently very good at creating standards...
and then trying to negotiate with myself when I meet someone I like. 😂
Before I met Fantasy Fred, I had already thought about certain things I wanted in a relationship.
Then I met someone I genuinely liked, and suddenly my brain became an attorney.
Welllll...maybe this one isn't THAT important.
Maybe I'm being too picky.
Maybe I should just give it more time.
And sometimes giving someone more time is the right thing to do.
But there's a difference between being open-minded and repeatedly talking yourself out of something you already know matters to you.
Fantasy Fred taught me that if I'm going to have dealbreakers, I need to understand why they're dealbreakers.
Not because someone else told me they should be.
Not because they're on some dating checklist.
But because I have actually thought about the life and marriage I want to build.
And once I understand the why, I need to be honest with myself when something doesn't align.
I Had Been So Focused on Being Chosen
This might be the most vulnerable lesson from the whole relationship.
Before Fantasy Fred, dating had been discouraging.
I wasn't getting the dates I wanted. Things weren't progressing the way I hoped. And whether I realized it or not, I had started attaching a lot of meaning to that.
Then suddenly there was this guy saying:
I like you.
I want to pursue you.
I want to court you.
Do you know how validating that felt?!
After wondering for so long why guys weren't choosing me, somebody finally was.
And I liked him too.
So I think part of me became very focused on the excitement of finally being chosen.
But dating isn't only about whether someone chooses me.
I get to choose too.
That sounds incredibly obvious now. 😂
But I don't think I fully understood it then.
I wasn't just trying to become the kind of woman someone would want to marry.
I was learning how to recognize the kind of man I wanted to marry.
Those are two very different things.
And Apparently...I Needed to Know Myself First
One of the most unexpected gifts Fantasy Fred gave me was realizing how much I still needed to learn about myself.
Those questions we went through from Date or Soul Mate? exposed that pretty quickly.
There were things I thought I should know about myself...
and I didn't.
What did I really want my marriage to look like?
What kind of family culture did I want to create?
What did emotional connection look like to me?
What did I actually need from a partner?
Which things were preferences, and which ones were truly important?
I had spent plenty of time imagining who I would marry.
I hadn't spent nearly enough time understanding who I was bringing into that marriage.
And that realization changed the way I looked at dating.
Because a healthy relationship isn't two incomplete people desperately trying to become whole through each other.
I still believe we grow tremendously through relationships. Fantasy Fred certainly helped me grow.
But I also learned that the more grounded I am in my own values, identity, relationship with God, and direction for my life, the better prepared I am to recognize someone who can actually build alongside me.
Love Thinks
During this relationship, I was introduced to How to Avoid Falling in Love with a Jerk and the Relationship Attachment Model—the RAM Model.
The basic idea is that healthy relationships develop in an order:
Know → Trust → Rely → Commit → Touch
And looking back...
Fantasy Fred and I definitely did some jumping around. 😬
We became vulnerable very quickly. That vulnerability created closeness. Closeness created attachment. And before I really knew him, I was already emotionally invested in what we could become.
One phrase from the book has stayed with me:
Love thinks.
I love that.
Because for a long time, I think part of me believed romance was supposed to be this magical feeling where everything suddenly clicked.
The butterflies.
The perfect handhold.
The you just know moment.
Basically...
a K-drama. 😂
But healthy love isn't blind.
My feelings matter.
Attraction matters.
Chemistry matters.
But my mind matters too.
So does time.
So does getting to know someone's character.
So does paying attention to whether our lives, values, and goals actually fit together.
I've learned that I don't have to choose between my heart and my head.
I need both.
So...Was Fantasy Fred a Mistake?
No.
I don't think so.
There are things I would do differently now.
I would slow down the emotional vulnerability.
I would pay attention sooner when I noticed myself justifying something.
I would ask better questions.
I would trust myself more.
And I definitely wouldn't expect holding someone's hand at sunset to reveal whether he's my future husband. 😂
But I don't regret caring about Fantasy Fred.
For a little while, I got to experience what it was like to have a boyfriend.
To be pursued.
To navigate boundaries.
To communicate through hard conversations.
To disagree.
To learn about another person's world.
To have someone become important to me—and then learn how to let him go when I realized we weren't meant to continue building a life together.
That's a pretty big list of firsts.
And I'm grateful for them.
Maybe It Was a K-Drama After All
When Fantasy Fred first asked to court me, part of me thought:
Is this actually happening?!
After years of watching romantic stories, suddenly I had a cute guy intentionally pursuing me, planning dates, sharing my interests, and telling me exactly how he felt.
It seemed like my little K-drama fantasy had finally shown up in real life.
Except...
I didn't get the ending I expected.
Fantasy Fred wasn't the guy at the end of my story.
He was a chapter.
A really important one.
And maybe there was something romantic about that too—not because we ended up together, but because that relationship helped me become a little more prepared for whatever comes next.
I started the relationship excited that someone had finally chosen me.
I left it understanding that dating is also about learning how to choose well.
I started it wondering if he could be the one.
I left it knowing myself a little better.
And I started it thinking maybe I was finally living my K-drama love story.
Turns out...
I was living a love-learning story instead.
And honestly?
I think I needed that one first. 💕
The fantasy wasn't the lesson.
Learning how to know myself, recognize compatibility, and choose with both my heart and my head was.
No comments:
Post a Comment