September 14, 2026

HALAINA'S BOOKSHELF • WHAT THIS BOOK TAUGHT ME

Men Are Like Waffles, Women Are Like Spaghetti — What I Learned ❤️

The relationship book that made me realize different doesn't automatically mean wrong...sometimes it just means we're looking at the same thing with two very different brains. 😂

WHAT THIS BOOK GOT ME THINKING ABOUT

I don't remember exactly when I first heard the phrase:

Men are like waffles. Women are like spaghetti.

But I do remember thinking...

What does that even mean? 😂

Apparently we've moved from relationship advice to breakfast and Italian food.

But once I actually learned what Bill and Pam Farrel meant by it, the picture made SO much sense to me.

Because one of the things I've been learning throughout my dating journey is that men and women can experience the exact same conversation, situation, or problem and process it very differently.

And sometimes we look at that difference and immediately think:

Why are you doing it WRONG? 😂

When really, the other person may simply be approaching it differently.

That was one of my biggest takeaways from Men Are Like Waffles, Women Are Like Spaghetti.

The book helped me think about the differences between men and women as something I don't necessarily need to eliminate.

I need to learn how to understand them.

Because I don't want to go into marriage expecting my husband to think exactly like me.

Honestly...

One of me is probably enough. 😂

I want to understand how he processes things.

I want him to understand how I process things.

And I want us to learn how those differences can actually make us stronger instead of spending our entire marriage frustrated that the other person isn't responding exactly the way we would.

And THAT is where the waffles and spaghetti come in.

WHAT STUCK WITH ME

Waffles, Spaghetti & Learning Each Other

A surprisingly useful food metaphor for understanding how two people can experience the same relationship very differently. 😂

CONCEPT 01

🧇 Men Are Like Waffles

One box. Another box. Another box. And apparently we are not discussing all of them at once. 😂

Okay.

Let's talk waffles.

The Farrels use a waffle as a picture for how men often process life.

Look at a waffle.

It has all these little squares.

One box.

Another box.

Another box.

Another box.

And according to the metaphor, men often have an easier time separating different areas of life into their own mental “boxes.”

Work box.

Relationship box.

Church box.

Money box.

Family box.

Problem I am currently trying to solve box.

Whatever is happening in the football game box. 😂

And when he's in one box, he may be VERY much in that box.

Which means something else can be happening in another area of life without immediately spilling into the one he's currently focused on.

This helped explain something to me.

Because sometimes I've wondered how a guy can seemingly stop thinking about something.

Meanwhile I'm over here thinking:

But we haven't finished processing this.

There are still seventeen related thoughts.

I have made CONNECTIONS.

😂

But maybe he has mentally stepped out of that box for a little while.

That doesn't automatically mean he doesn't care.

It may mean he's moved his attention somewhere else.

WHAT THIS MADE ME REALIZE

Someone not processing something continuously doesn't necessarily mean that thing isn't important to him.

He may simply have a different way of organizing what's happening in his head.

And understanding that could save me from assigning meaning to something that might not actually mean what I think it means.

Instead of immediately thinking:

He doesn't care.

Maybe sometimes I need to ask:

Is he just in another box right now? 😂
CONCEPT 02

🍝 Women Are Like Spaghetti

I promise all seventeen topics are connected. Please allow me enough time to locate the noodle. 😂

And then...

there's me.

Welcome to the pasta. 😂

The Farrels describe women's thinking more like a plate of spaghetti.

Instead of neat little separate boxes, imagine noodles touching other noodles...

which touch other noodles...

which somehow connect to another noodle on the complete opposite side of the plate.

And honestly?

I felt seen. 😂

Because I can start talking about one thing and very naturally connect it to something else.

And then something else.

And then:

Oh! That reminds me—

And suddenly we have traveled through four topics, two memories, something that happened three months ago, something I'm worried about next Thursday, and a story about my mom.

And in my brain?

IT ALL CONNECTS.

I promise. 😂

The book's spaghetti picture helped me understand why emotions, relationships, experiences, and circumstances can feel interconnected.

If something is happening in one area of life, it can affect how I feel in another.

If I'm worried about something, that thought might follow me into something completely different.

And if I'm telling you a story and take what appears to be a completely unnecessary detour...

there is a noodle connecting it.

Give me a minute.

I'll get there. 😂

WHAT THIS MADE ME REALIZE

The way I connect things isn't automatically a problem either.

It can help me notice patterns.

It can help me understand relationships.

It can help me multitask.

It can help me see how one decision might affect several different parts of life.

The goal isn't:

Become less spaghetti.

It's learning how my spaghetti brain works—and realizing the person sitting across from me may not automatically see every connection I see.

Sometimes I may actually need to explain the noodle. 😂

CONCEPT 03

💬 Sometimes We're Having Two Different Conversations

I'm explaining the entire plate. He's trying to figure out which square we're currently discussing. 😂

THIS is where the waffle-and-spaghetti metaphor gets really useful.

Imagine I'm trying to explain something that's bothering me.

To me, the issue connects to:

what happened today,

something he said yesterday,

how I've been feeling lately,

another conversation we had,

and what I'm worried this might mean going forward.

Those things aren't five separate conversations in my mind.

They're one giant plate of spaghetti.

But the waffle mind may be sitting there thinking:

Which problem are we solving right now? 😂

And suddenly both people can get frustrated.

She may think:

Why aren't you understanding what I'm trying to say?!

And he may be thinking:

I thought we were talking about what happened at dinner. Why are we suddenly discussing Christmas?!

And honestly...

I can see both sides. 😂

WHAT THIS MADE ME REALIZE

Sometimes communication problems aren't actually caused by a lack of love.

They can happen because two people are organizing the conversation differently.

Maybe I need to slow down and say:

“Okay, the main thing I'm trying to talk about is this.”

And maybe he needs to understand that when I bring in another connected topic, I'm not necessarily trying to create six new problems.

I'm explaining why the original one feels important to me.

That's a VERY different interpretation.

And learning to translate each other's thinking sounds a lot more productive than:

Why can't you communicate like me?!

CONCEPT 04

🧠 His Focus Isn't Indifference—and My Connections Aren't Chaos

Different processing styles don't automatically tell me something negative about someone's character.

This may be one of my favorite things I took from the whole metaphor.

Because differences are really easy to misinterpret.

A man focuses on one thing.

A woman thinks:

He is ignoring everything else.

A woman connects eight things together.

A man thinks:

Where did all of this come from?! 😂

And pretty quickly, a difference in processing becomes a judgment about the other person's character.

He's uncaring.

She's dramatic.

He's emotionally disconnected.

She's overthinking.

He's ignoring me.

She's making everything into something.

But what if we became a little more curious before assigning a negative meaning?

Maybe focus can be a strength.

Maybe connection can be a strength.

Maybe being able to put something aside temporarily is useful.

Maybe being able to see how several things interact is useful.

WHAT THIS MADE ME REALIZE

I don't want to confuse:

Different from me

with

Wrong.

That feels like such an important lesson for marriage.

Because if I marry someone expecting him to become the male version of me...

we are both going to be exhausted. 😂

I want to learn to recognize what his way of thinking contributes to our relationship.

And I want someone who can appreciate what mine contributes too.

CONCEPT 05

🧇 Sometimes a Waffle Needs an “Easy Box”

Apparently sitting there doing “nothing” may actually be doing something. 😂

Another concept from the book that really helped me understand men better is the idea that men may have certain mental boxes they go to where there isn't a big problem to solve.

Something enjoyable.

Something familiar.

Something that lets their brain decompress.

Maybe it's:

sports,

working on something,

gaming,

music,

reading,

the gym,

watching a show,

or just quietly doing...apparently nothing. 😂

And I think this is an area where misunderstanding could happen really easily.

Imagine I want to connect.

He's sitting there doing something that looks completely unimportant.

So naturally I think:

Perfect! He's available!

😂

Meanwhile, he may actually be decompressing.

The Farrels' framework helped me see that downtime doesn't necessarily mean:

I don't want to be with you.

Sometimes it may mean:

My brain needs a minute.
WHAT THIS MADE ME REALIZE

Giving someone space isn't the same thing as disconnecting from them.

And wanting connection isn't wrong either.

The important thing is learning each other's rhythms.

Maybe sometimes I need to let him sit in an easy box for a little while.

And maybe sometimes he needs to recognize:

Hey, my wife is trying to connect with me right now.

Neither person's need has to cancel out the other's.

We can learn each other.

CONCEPT 06

🗣️ Say What You Mean Instead of Hoping He Finds the Right Noodle

Apparently communication works better when I actually communicate. 😂

Okay.

This one may be important for me. 😂

Sometimes when everything feels connected in my head, it also feels...

obvious.

I know why I'm upset.

I know what this connects to.

I know what I was hoping would happen.

I know what would make me feel better.

So somewhere in my brain I can start thinking:

Surely he knows too.

Except...

maybe he doesn't.

Maybe he is standing there staring at the metaphorical plate of spaghetti thinking:

I have absolutely no idea which noodle I'm supposed to be following. 😂

That means healthy communication sometimes requires me to be more direct than feels necessary to me.

Instead of hoping he notices I'm disappointed:

“Hey, that actually hurt my feelings.”

Instead of hoping he figures out what I need:

“Could you just listen for a minute? I'm not looking for a solution yet.”

Instead of expecting him to connect six pieces of information:

“The reason this matters to me is because it connects to this.”

Oh.

Communication.

Apparently it involves communicating. 😂

WHAT THIS MADE ME REALIZE

Being understood isn't only the other person's responsibility.

I have a responsibility to make myself understandable.

That doesn't mean I have to communicate perfectly.

But I don't want to create a relationship where love is constantly tested by:

If you really knew me, you would just know.

I'd rather build one where we can say:

“Here's what I'm feeling. Here's what I need. Help me understand what you're experiencing too.”

That sounds much safer.

CONCEPT 07

❤️ Romance Might Not Look Exactly the Same to Both of Us

Maybe fixing the thing really was romantic. I am processing this information. 😂

Another thing the Farrels explore is how men and women can experience romance differently.

And this fits so well with the whole waffle-spaghetti idea.

Because what makes me feel connected may not automatically be the exact thing that makes him feel connected.

Maybe I want conversation.

Quality time.

Thoughtfulness.

Emotional connection.

A sweet little moment where we talk about life.

Maybe he's thinking:

I fixed the thing you've been complaining about for three weeks.

😂

And he's standing there feeling VERY romantic.

Meanwhile I'm like:

...thank you?

But honestly?

Understanding differences makes me want to get better at recognizing those things.

Because I don't want romance to become:

Love me exactly the way I would love myself.

I want it to become:

Learn me.

And I want to learn him too.

WHAT THIS MADE ME REALIZE

Love isn't only about giving what comes naturally to me.

Sometimes it's learning what actually makes the other person feel loved.

And that requires curiosity.

What makes you feel close to me?

What makes you feel appreciated?

What makes you feel respected?

What makes you feel wanted?

What does romance look like to you?

Those are conversations I want to have in my future marriage.

Because guessing seems significantly less effective. 😂

CONCEPT 08

⚡ Differences Can Create Conflict—or Become a Strength

Maybe the goal isn't making the other person think like me. Maybe it's figuring out what we can build together.

This may be the biggest idea I took from the book.

Men and women being different doesn't automatically create a bad relationship.

Not understanding the differences can.

If I assume:

My way is the normal way.

My way of communicating is the obvious way.

My way of processing emotions is the healthy way.

My way of solving problems is the correct way.

then every difference becomes evidence that the other person is doing relationships badly.

But if I approach those differences with curiosity?

Everything changes.

Instead of:

Why don't you think like me?

I can ask:

Help me understand how you're thinking about this.

Instead of:

Why doesn't this bother you the way it bothers me?

I can ask:

What does this feel like from your side?

Instead of trying to turn him into spaghetti...

and him trying to shove all of my noodles into little waffle squares...

😂

maybe we learn how to work together.

WHAT THIS MADE ME REALIZE

I don't want compatibility to mean:

We are exactly the same.

I want enough shared values, goals, faith, character, and vision to build a life together.

But within that?

I actually think differences can be really beautiful.

Maybe he notices something I don't.

Maybe I connect something he didn't.

Maybe he helps me simplify something that has become tangled in my head.

Maybe I help him see how one decision is affecting several areas of our life.

Maybe his strengths fill places where I'm weaker.

Maybe mine do the same for him.

Suddenly the difference isn't:

Why aren't you more like me?

It's:

Oh. This is something you bring to us that I don't.

And I really like that.

What This Book Really Changed for Me ❤️

I think one of the biggest shifts this book gave me was changing the question from:

Why would he do that? I would NEVER do that.

to:

Okay...how might he be experiencing this differently than I am?

That is such a small change.

But I think it could make a huge difference in a relationship.

Because sometimes we interpret someone's behavior through our own brain.

If I went quiet, it might mean one thing.

So when he goes quiet, I assume it means the same thing.

If I stopped talking about a problem, maybe it would mean I didn't care anymore.

So if he stops talking about it, I assume he doesn't care.

If I connected this situation to five other things, obviously he should see those connections too.

Except...

he might not.

And that doesn't automatically mean something is wrong.

Maybe he's a waffle.

And maybe I'm spaghetti.

😂

I think that's also helped me appreciate something bigger:

Men and women don't have to be identical to be equal, valuable, or deeply compatible.

There can be something really beautiful about bringing different strengths, perspectives, ways of thinking, and ways of connecting into the same relationship.

I don't want to spend my future marriage asking my husband:

Why aren't you more like me?

I want to become someone who can ask:

Help me understand how you see this.

And I want the kind of man who will ask me the same thing.

Because maybe the goal isn't to turn the waffle into spaghetti.

And it's definitely not to organize the spaghetti into tiny squares.

😂

Maybe the goal is learning how to sit at the same table.

To communicate.

To give each other grace.

To recognize each other's strengths.

To laugh when our brains make absolutely no sense to each other.

And then keep learning anyway.

Because the more relationship books I read, the more I'm realizing something:

Understanding someone doesn't require them to become more like me.

Sometimes it requires me to become more curious about who they already are.

And THAT is something I want to carry into my future marriage. ❤️

WANT TO READ THE BOOK?

📚 Men Are Like Waffles, Women Are Like Spaghetti

Men Are Like Waffles—Women Are Like Spaghetti: Understanding and Delighting in Your Differences by Bill and Pam Farrel gave me such a simple picture for something that can feel incredibly complicated:

Men and women can process life differently—and understanding those differences can help us love each other better.

I especially loved thinking about:

🧇 The waffle boxes — understanding how a man may focus on one issue at a time.

🍝 The spaghetti noodles — understanding how a woman may naturally connect thoughts, feelings, experiences, and relationships.

💬 Communication — learning how to translate what I'm thinking instead of assuming the other person automatically follows my brain.

🧠 Stress and downtime — recognizing that stepping into an “easy box” may be a way of decompressing, not rejecting the relationship.

❤️ Romance — learning that what makes one person feel loved may not automatically be what makes the other feel loved.

⚡ Differences — seeing them as something we can learn to work with instead of something we constantly have to fight against.

And maybe my favorite takeaway is this:

Different doesn't automatically mean wrong.

Sometimes it just means:

Ohhh...you're a waffle.

I'm spaghetti.

This explains a LOT. 😂❤️

READ MEN ARE LIKE WAFFLES—WOMEN ARE LIKE SPAGHETTI ON AMAZON →

No comments:

Post a Comment