Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man — What It Taught Me ❤️
The book that made me realize understanding relationships isn't only about figuring out what I need. It's also about learning the person sitting across from me. 😂
I think one of the weird things about dating is that sometimes we assume the person sitting across from us experiences relationships the exact same way we do.
And then we're confused when they...don't. 😂
As women, I think we can spend a lot of time trying to understand men through the way we think.
Why didn't he respond the way I would have?
Why doesn't he want to talk about this for three hours?
Why did he immediately try to fix the problem when I really just wanted him to listen?
Why does something seem incredibly important to him that doesn't feel nearly as important to me?
And sometimes I think men are probably looking at us thinking the exact same thing.
Like:
What do you WANT from me?! 😂
That was one of the things I enjoyed about Steve Harvey's Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man.
The book gave me a different lens.
It made me stop assuming that the things that make me feel loved, connected, respected, and secure are automatically the exact same things that will make a man feel that way.
And honestly?
That was useful.
Because if I eventually want to build a healthy marriage, I don't only want to understand what I need from my husband.
I want to become better at understanding what he might need from me too.
And this book gave me a few ideas that have really stuck with me.
The Ideas I Carried Into Dating
Not an instruction manual for every man on earth. 😂 Just a few ideas that helped me start looking at relationships from another person's perspective too.
❤️ Men May Show Love Differently Than I Expect
Sometimes love may be showing up—I just need to learn how the person across from me communicates it.
One of Steve Harvey's big ideas is that men often demonstrate love through what he calls the three Ps:
And this one made me think.
Because I think sometimes I have had a very specific picture in my head of what romantic love is supposed to look like.
Deep conversations.
Sweet words.
Affection.
Talking through feelings.
Little romantic gestures.
And those things still matter to me.
I'm not throwing away flowers here. 😂
But Harvey's point helped me realize that someone may be communicating love in ways I don't immediately recognize because they aren't necessarily the ways I naturally look for it.
Maybe he wants to publicly claim the relationship and make it clear that he's proud to be with me.
Maybe he wants to help.
Maybe he wants to solve something.
Maybe he wants to make sure I'm safe.
Maybe taking responsibility and contributing to my life means something deeply personal to him.
It made me start asking a better question:
Sometimes I can become so focused on whether someone loves me in the way I expect love to look that I could miss the ways he is actually trying to communicate it.
At the same time, learning someone else's language of love doesn't mean mine stops mattering.
A healthy relationship can't be:
Well, this is how I show love. Figure it out. 😂
I want both people learning each other.
I want to understand how he gives and receives love.
And I want him to understand me too.
That's partnership.
🤍 Support Matters More Than I Realized
Supporting someone isn't the same thing as making him your personal renovation project. 😂
Harvey identifies support as one of the major things men need from a partner.
And I really liked thinking about this one beyond the stereotypical:
"Tell him he's amazing all the time."
That's not what support means to me.
To me, support means:
I want to be someone he can come home to and feel safe being human around.
I want to celebrate his goals.
I want to notice his efforts.
I want to encourage growth without constantly communicating:
You aren't good enough yet.
Because I think there's a huge difference between encouraging someone to grow and constantly trying to remodel them.
And...I have definitely had moments in dating where I've caught myself mentally renovating someone. 😂
Okay, if he changed this...
and maybe grew in this area...
and if I could just help him understand this...
Hmm.
Interesting.
Reading this made me think about what it would mean to be with someone I could genuinely support as he is becoming, rather than someone I feel responsible for turning into the person I want him to be.
I don't want a marriage where we're constantly criticizing each other into becoming better people.
I want one where we're safe enough, loved enough, and supported enough that growth can happen without either person feeling like a permanent improvement project.
That goes both ways.
I want a man who believes in me.
And I want to become a woman who genuinely believes in him.
🤝 Loyalty Isn't Just “Not Cheating”
I want my marriage to feel like we're on the same team.
The second thing Harvey talks about is loyalty.
And at first that sounds obvious.
Like...
Yes, Steve.
I am generally planning for my future husband and I to remain married to each other. 😂
But the more I thought about loyalty, the bigger the idea became.
Because loyalty isn't only sexual fidelity.
Do I have his back?
Do I respect him when he's not in the room?
Can he trust me with vulnerable things he shares?
Do I make jokes at his expense to other people?
When we're struggling, do I still treat him like we're on the same team?
Can we disagree without turning each other into the enemy?
I really like that picture of marriage:
Not because we never disagree.
Not because I blindly agree with everything he does.
But because even when we're working through something difficult, I want there to be a basic sense of:
You are my person. I'm not trying to defeat you. I'm trying to work through this with you.
The kind of marriage I want isn't just romantic.
It's deeply safe.
I want to know that my husband protects my dignity when I'm not there.
And I want him to know I'll protect his too.
That kind of loyalty feels like one of the quiet things that builds enormous trust over time.
🍪 Yes...We're Going to Talk About “The Cookie” 😂
This one actually helped me become more comfortable thinking about physical intimacy as an important part of marriage.
Okay.
Steve calls the third thing men need:
Which is his very Steve-Harvey way of saying:
Sex.
And when I first started reading books about relationships and marriage, this was honestly an area I had to become more comfortable thinking about.
Because physical intimacy isn't something I treat casually.
My faith and values matter deeply to me, and I'm choosing to reserve sex for marriage.
So for a long time, I think it was easy for my brain to put sex into a category that basically said:
But learning more about relationships helped me realize that if I want to prepare for a healthy marriage, I can't treat an important part of marriage like it's something I'm never allowed to understand until my wedding day.
There's a difference between choosing not to have sex before marriage and being afraid to learn about healthy sexual intimacy.
And that distinction has been really important for me.
Harvey's discussion helped me think more seriously about the importance physical intimacy can have in a marriage—not only physically, but as part of closeness, affection, feeling wanted, and connecting with your spouse.
And it helped me become more comfortable acknowledging:
Sex matters in marriage.
Physical intimacy matters.
Feeling wanted matters.
Affection matters.
Emotional connection matters.
And I want to eventually build a marriage where we can communicate openly and kindly about all of those things.
Sex isn't supposed to be embarrassing, shameful, manipulative, or something one spouse reluctantly “owes” the other.
That's not the kind of marriage I want.
I want physical intimacy to be something safe and mutually wanted—something that helps my husband and me connect emotionally, physically, and relationally.
And weirdly enough, reading relationship books has helped me become more comfortable with that idea.
Not less committed to my values.
More prepared for the marriage those values are leading toward.
I'm waiting for marriage.
and also believe:
When I'm married, I want a healthy, joyful, connected sexual relationship with my husband.
Those ideas don't fight each other.
For me, they actually fit together.
💬 Sometimes He Might Be Trying to Fix It Because He Cares
Sometimes I want empathy. Sometimes he may hear, “There is a problem. Please locate solution.” 😂
Another part of Harvey's approach that made me think was the idea that men and women may approach problems and conversations differently.
Because sometimes I don't want a ten-point action plan.
Sometimes I want:
"Wow. That sounds really hard."
And then maybe a hug.
Please do not open Excel. 😂
But thinking about communication from the other side helped me realize something.
Sometimes when someone immediately starts trying to fix my problem, I can interpret it as:
He's not listening.
But he might be thinking:
She's upset. I care about her. There is a problem. I can help solve the problem.
Which is actually kind of sweet when I stop being annoyed for five seconds. 😂
Communication isn't only about learning how to express myself.
It's also about learning how the other person hears me.
Maybe sometimes I need to say:
That's a whole lot more helpful than silently expecting him to somehow know what type of conversation I've brought to the meeting.
And likewise, I want to learn when someone I love is trying to connect with me—even when his method looks different from mine.
🧭 Standards Aren't the Same Thing as Playing Games
I don't need dating games. I do need to know what I stand for.
Another idea Harvey emphasizes is the importance of women having standards.
This stood out to me because I don't want dating to become a game.
I'm not interested in:
Wait exactly three hours before texting back.
Pretend you don't care.
Make him jealous.
Act unavailable.
No thank you. 😂
But that's different from having standards.
This is how I expect to be treated.
These are my values.
These are my boundaries.
This is what commitment means to me.
This is what I'm comfortable with physically.
This is what I'm ultimately dating for.
And if being clear about those things causes someone to walk away?
That may actually be useful information.
Having standards isn't about forcing someone to rise to them.
It's about allowing someone to decide whether he wants the same kind of relationship I do.
And then believing his answer.
I don't need to convince someone into respecting my boundaries.
I don't need to become less clear so I'm easier to date.
And I don't need to apologize for wanting an intentional relationship.
The man I'm dating still gets to have his own standards too.
We're both figuring out whether they fit.
🏃♂️ Give Him Room to Pursue You
I can show interest without becoming the entire relationship's project manager. 😂
This one was REALLY interesting to me.
Harvey talks a lot about pursuit—the idea that men often enjoy having something to work toward and that a woman doesn't necessarily need to do all the pursuing for a relationship to move forward.
And I think this one hit me because I can be a doer.
If I like someone, part of me wants to know:
Okay...what are we doing here?
Should I text him?
Should I suggest something?
Should I keep the conversation moving?
Does he know I like him?
Maybe I should make it really obvious.
Maybe I should just ask him out.
Maybe I should—
Alaina.
You can stop now. 😂
The idea of letting a man pursue doesn't mean I need to sit silently in a tower somewhere waiting for a man to complete twelve heroic quests before I answer his text.
I can flirt.
I can show interest.
I can be warm.
I can make it clear that I enjoy being around him.
I can even initiate sometimes.
But I don't have to do all of the relational work just because I'm afraid the connection will disappear if I stop pushing it forward.
That was the part that really stuck with me.
Harvey connects male pursuit with men's drive and desire to work toward something they value.
Sometimes you'll hear that described in terms of testosterone or men being biologically wired to “chase.”
What I find most useful is the relationship principle underneath it:
Because if I'm always initiating...
always texting...
always planning...
always checking in...
always restarting the conversation...
always making sure we see each other again...
then I may never actually learn what he would do if I stopped carrying the relationship forward.
Oof.
That one got me. 😂
There is a difference between showing interest and doing all the pursuing.
I don't want to play hard to get.
I want to be open to get. 😂
I can communicate:
Hey, I like you. The door is open.
And then I can give him room to walk through it.
Because I want a relationship with mutual effort.
I want to know that he chose me too.
I don't want to reach the beginning of a relationship and realize that it only happened because I kept dragging the story into the next chapter.
Sometimes stepping back isn't playing a game.
Sometimes it's gathering information.
That's a dating question I want to remember.
❓ Ask Questions Before Your Heart Writes the Whole Story
Because apparently one good date is enough for my imagination to start decorating our future kitchen. 😂
Harvey also talks about asking important questions before becoming deeply invested in someone.
And this connects with basically every other Dating Toolbox resource I love.
Because once I really like someone...
Wow.
My imagination is talented. 😂
Suddenly I'm not evaluating one date anymore.
I'm mentally decorating our kitchen.
Which is precisely why questions matter.
What does he want?
What does he believe?
Where is he headed?
What does commitment mean to him?
What kind of relationship is he actually looking for?
Does what he says line up with what he does?
And I don't mean turning Date Two into a job interview under fluorescent lighting.
Please don't do that. 😂
But intentional dating requires eventually learning whether you're actually moving toward compatible futures.
Chemistry can tell me:
I like being around him.
Questions, time, observation, and shared experiences help me answer:
Do we actually make sense together?
Those are not the same question.
And I've learned I need both.
What This Book Really Changed for Me ❤️
The biggest thing this book gave me was a reminder that relationships involve understanding a whole other human being whose needs, communication style, motivations, and ways of expressing love might look different from mine.
Before, I think a lot of my dating questions were centered around:
And that's still important.
I want to feel known.
I want to feel emotionally safe.
I want to be listened to.
I want someone who understands my values and wants to know my heart.
But this book added another question:
What makes him feel supported?
What makes him feel respected?
What does loyalty mean to him?
How does he naturally show love?
How does he receive it?
How does he approach problems?
What does physical intimacy mean to him within marriage?
What helps him feel like we're on the same team?
And am I giving him enough room to show me that he wants me too?
Those are questions I want to be curious about.
Because I don't just want to find a man who knows how to love me well.
I want to learn how to love him well too.
And maybe that's one of the biggest things this book taught me.
A healthy relationship isn't:
Find someone who perfectly understands me without explanation.
It's two people saying:
And honestly?
That sounds a whole lot more like the kind of marriage I want. ❤️
📚 Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
Steve Harvey writes about relationships in his very direct, funny style—which made some pretty serious relationship topics surprisingly fun to think about. 😂
What I loved most was that it made me look at dating from another perspective.
Instead of only asking:
What do I want from a man?
I started thinking more about:
What might the man I eventually marry need from me?
Support.
Loyalty.
Respect.
Physical and emotional connection.
Room to pursue me.
The freedom to show love in ways that may look different from mine.
And a woman who's willing to keep learning who he is instead of assuming she already understands him.
Some ideas made me laugh.
Some made me stop and think.
Some made me go:
Ohhh...that actually explains a few things. 😂
And that's one of my favorite things about reading relationship books.
They don't just give me answers.
They give me better questions to bring into my own dating journey. ❤️
READ ACT LIKE A LADY, THINK LIKE A MAN ON AMAZON →
No comments:
Post a Comment