June 14, 2025

Different planets, different languages—Mars and Venus in full effect!


Communication always been really important to me—especially because I’m an overthinker.

I process life by talking things through, sharing feelings, and diving deep into thoughts and emotions. So naturally, I’ve always known that I’d need a partner who’s willing to open up, express themselves, and help me understand where they’re coming from.

But when I started dating Skippy the Skipper, I quickly realized we didn’t communicate the same way. I found myself feeling frustrated and confused—wondering why he wasn’t saying more, why he wasn’t asking questions, or why he seemed so… neutral.

That’s when I remembered something I’d heard in Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus. The book explains that men and women often communicate very differently. Women tend to process emotions out loud—we talk to connect, to feel heard, to sort through our thoughts. Men, on the other hand, are often more solution-focused. They value logic and independence, and they tend to retreat into their “cave” when they’re stressed or need to think.

This helped me understand something major: if I expected Skippy to talk to me like my girlfriends do, I was setting myself—and him—up for disappointment. It wasn’t that he didn’t care. He just showed it in a different way.

So instead of pushing him to be my emotional processor, I started turning to my friends when I needed that kind of connection. And I learned that’s okay.

The takeaway? Expecting your partner to meet all your emotional needs isn't fair—or realistic. Sometimes, the healthiest thing you can do is honor your differences, get support where it fits best, and meet in the middle with understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment